SMALL FLASH

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Moral Fiber...


So, I was thinking about morals... I'm not sure what they even really are. I see morals as a code I live by, I guess. And not to harp on the obvious, but I don't care if it's one society accepts or not. Though we humans have been given extraordinary power over creation, which includes an equally unique responsibility, we cannot be blind or deaf to any small part of what happens on this earth. Our teachers understood that life was often lived and morality typically shaped out of sight, when no one else was around, when there was no one we needed or wanted to impress.

No matter how beautiful a building's design or architecture, it will collapse under its own weight if any rivet is left out, if a weakened beam is fabricated, if the cement in the structural joints is poorly applied. Life, like buildings, is in the details.


Our moral stature is not defined only by our attitudes to the big missions of social justice, matters of war and peace, or civil liberties and social welfare. Our moral fiber is developed and honed in the thousands of small choices we make in the shadows when no one else may be looking. We make a moral choice in deciding whether to give our seat on a bus to an elderly man or woman who may need it more than we. We demonstrate the quality of moral fiber when we decide whether to help a burdened parent trying to carry both her child and the stroller up the subway stairs. We define ourselves by whether we offer help to a person obviously bewildered by our city or whether we often an arm or a hand to someone physically impaired needing help crossing the street.


Life is in the details and we define our moral standard in all the small decisions we make every day.
And now, that my life has taken a whole new turn, the words as said by Mathew of ‘the girl next door’ fame, seem oh so true and meaningful to me. “Moral fiber's about finding that one thing you really care about. That one special thing that means more to you than anything else in the world. And when you find her, you risk it all, you put her in front of everything, your life, all of it. That's what moral fiber's all about.”

I have found her. I truly care for her and what matters the most to me today is not writing this blog but being her hero. Not to absolutely obsess over qualities like good looks, suavity or physical strength, but to show her my incredible, wonderful, irresistible heart – an intangible something that enables me not only to love her deeply, but to live for her, sacrifice everything for her, and even die for her if it proves necessary.


I've written everything from alphas to betas in past few years on this blog and I have no desire left to write anymore.Surely, I'll miss writing this blog and everything about it but I have new priorities today, a yearn to live happily everafter with my beloved and so, to my blogmates and to all the people who have ever stopped by, farewell now and I wish you all felicitations. And remember, values are the desirable principle in someone’s character that is worthwhile and success in life is picked up in bits and pieces along our journey. May you all be successful, Amen!

So long.

6 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home